TRB is one of six major divisions of the National Research Council— a private, nonprofit institution that is the principal operating agency of the National Academies in providing services to the government, the public, and the scientific and engineering communities. The National Research Council is jointly administered by the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the Institute of Medicine. TRB’s varied activities annually engage more than 7,000 engineers, scientists, and other transportation researchers and practitioners from the public and private sectors and academia, all of whom contribute their expertise in the public interest by participating on TRB committees, panels, and task forces. The program is supported by state transportation departments, federal agencies including the component administrations of the U.S. Department of Transportation, and other organizations and individuals interested in the development of transportation.
The Program Officer is responsible for assisting with one or more of the organization’s projects with minimal oversight by Director or Senior Program Officer. Assembles committees and provides staff assistance to committees as they conduct their work. Responsible for ensuring projects stay on schedule and within budget.
Incumbent applies in-depth professional level knowledge to independently solve a full range of complex problems. The job’s primary focus is supporting studies or convening activities. The work is primarily intellectual or analytical in character, requiring advanced knowledge. Assignments are broadly defined and require judgment and creativity to complete. Incumbent is often responsible for oversight or management of other staff. Reports to Senior Program Officer or Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Manages projects of minimal or moderate complexity. In collaboration with supervisor, manages budget, supervises staff, and ensures program or project meets objectives.
2. Where applicable and with director/senior program officer oversight, recruits potential committee nominees and assembles appointment packages. Communicates and coordinates with the committee chair and members. Identifies and gathers research materials for the committee. Facilitates the flow of information among committee/panel members, consultants, staff, and other applicable parties
3. Conducts large and small workshops and/or meetings. Develops agendas, invites presenters and participants, oversees meeting logistics and multimedia presentations, and prepares written summaries.
4. Prepares background papers and technical summaries. Develops written products (e.g., reports, proceedings, white papers). Drafts and edits materials for publication. Synthesizes and edits research findings and technical data and determines the relevance of data for purposes of activity.
5. Supports committee members, forum members, workshop participants, etc. in all aspects of work. Assistance is provided in preparing the draft report, including writing sections of report based on committee input and review and editing the report for format, consistency, and grammar. Facilitates the response to review, responds to comments and concerns of editors, and prepares the final manuscript for publication.
6. Supports dissemination activities related to assigned programs or projects. Creates and maintains materials for web sites social media channels and other outreach to provide interest groups with information generated from and for activities.
7. Oversees project budget and schedule and authorizes expenditures. As required, collaborates with financial staff to ensure compliance.
8. Collaborates with experts and sponsors from federal, state, and local government agencies, foundations, schools, and other organizations. Represents the unit and committee within and outside the National Academies.
9. With Director or Senior Program Officer oversight, conducts background research on topics for new studies, programs, or activities.
For more information, visit http://chk.tbe.taleo.net/chk02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=NAS&cws=1&rid=8047 and search for Job Number 150070-5.