Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, February 17, 2009 — ISSN 1529-1057
Register Today for IBTTA’s Toll Road Summit of Australia, New Zealand & the Asia Pacific Rim, March 15-18, 2009 in Sydney, Australia
If you are interested in public-private partnerships, innovations in customer service and next generation technologies, you need to attend this meeting! Join IBTTA and ITS Australia in Sydney, Australia and learn about the explosive growth of tolling in Australia, New Zealand and the countries in the Asia Pacific Rim. Learn about toll concessions and operations, including the political, regulatory, public affairs and customer service aspects of startup and mature facilities, and lessons learned from successive implementation of all electronic toll collection. Visit IBTTA’s website to view the preliminary agenda, make your travel arrangements and register today
1) Abu Dhabi Air Traffic Center Opens in June
Link to story in The National:
2) Shanghai‘s High-Tech E-Toll System Stuck in First Gear
Link to story in the Shanghai Daily:
3) US Transportation Department Now on US Government Science Site
Link to story in The Oak Ridger:
4) Metra to Add ‘2nd Train’ Warnings
Link to story in the Chicago Tribune:
5) Massachusetts May Consider a Mileage Charge
Tentative plan would use GPS chips to charge motorists a quarter-cent for every mile behind the wheel.
Link to AP story:
6) ‘Motorcycle Detection System’ on UK Roads by Easter
Link to story in Motorcycle News:
7) Smart Roads. Smart Bridges. Smart Grids.
If we are going to spend billions of dollars to fix our ailing infrastructure, let’s make sure we do it right. Here are the technologies to make that happen.
Link to article and video in The Wall Street Journal:
SAFETY / SECURITY
8) Garden Grove, California to Put Amber Alert Signs on City Streets
Link to story in The Orange County Register:
9) Fiat Drives Home the Eco Message
Eco:drive computer application is said to reduce fuel costs and reduce a driver’s carbon footprint.
Link to story on Fleet News:
10) Technology Aids, Innovates, Leads
Link to story in Passenger Transport:
11) That Mobile Hotspot Now has Four Wheels
Link to story in The New York Times:
12) Intelligent Transportation Systems and Vehicle-Highway Automation 2008
Link to report from the Transportation Research Board:
– Senior Research Analyst – Center for Urban Transportation Research – Tampa, Florida
– Director of Policy and Strategic Planning – North County Transit District – Oceanside, California
How ITS is Used on the Campus of Georgia Tech – February 26 – Atlanta
Today in Transportation History
1959 **50th anniversary** – Vanguard 2, a weather satellite, was launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLemail@example.com
To unsubscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLfirstname.lastname@example.org
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast email@example.com.
© 2009 Bernie Wagenblast