Wednesday, October 28, 2009 – ISSN 1529-1057
1) Incident Highlights Outdated Air-Traffic Control System
Link to article in USA Today:
2) Extensive Failures Found in Maryland Medevac Crash
NTSB faults air-traffic controllers and Maryland State Police efforts to track and search for chopper.
Link to article in The Washington Post:
Link to news release from the National Transportation Safety Board:
3) Next Generation Air Transportation System: FAA Faces Challenges in Responding to Task Force Recommendations
Link to testimony from the Government Accountability Office:
4) Bill to Expand Geospatial Imagery Passes US House
Link to article in Federal Computer Week:
GPS / NAVIGATION
5) Google Maps Navigation Takes a Mobile Turn
Link to CNET News article:
6) Traffic Control Faulted in Ship Crash
Link to article in The Japan Times:
7) Malacca, Singapore Straits Can Handle Rise in Vessel Traffic
Link to article in The Business Times:
8) Australian Communications and Media Authority Prepares for Intelligent Transport Systems
Link to article on iTWire:
SAFETY / SECURITY
9) Maryland Company Develops ‘Whisper’ Technology for TSA
Radios can send pre-programmed text messages to discreetly share information.
Link to article in The Capital:
10) Stop Texting-Drivers – Or Lose Highway Funds
Link to debate in BusinessWeek:
11) Take Notes, MTA: NY Waterways to Give Real-Time Bus Arrival Info on Web Site
Link to article in the Daily News:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
12) Traffic Reports to be Boosted on Ho Chi Minh City Radio Station
Link to Viet Nam News Agency article:
ITS-CT Annual Meeting – November 2 – Cromwell, Connecticut
Today in Transportation History
1949 **60th anniversary** – Dr. Wernher von Braun, and other German rocket scientists, were transferred to the Redstone Arsenal in Alabama.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe send an e-mail to: email@example.com
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2009 Bernie Wagenblast