Tuesday, November 3, 2009 – ISSN 1529-1057
Register for IBTTA’s Toll Road Summit of the Americas — November 15-17, 2009 in São Paulo, Brazil
Join the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association at the Toll Road Summit of the Americas and examine an array of methods to design, finance, operate and maintain user financed surface transportation facilities. The second day of this meeting will be held in conjunction with TranspoQuip 2009, Latin America’s biggest event for the transportation infrastructure industries in Latin America. Featured speakers include Cesar Queiroz, Consultant, Roads and Transport Infrastructure, World Bank, and Roberto Lucas, Jr., Author and Urban Planning Consultant. Meeting hosted by ABCR and CCR. For registration, hotel, travel and visa information, or to view the preliminary agenda, visit www.IBTTA.org.
1) Lawmakers Seek Ban on Laptops in Airliner Cockpits
Link to AP article:
2) NextGen Panel Warns of Obstacles
Link to article in Aviation Week:
3) New Technology Could Revolutionize the Black Box
Link to article in The Globe and Mail:
4) Scared of Flying? Press the Fear iButton
Link to Reuters article:
5) Austin, Texas Installs ‘Sharrows’ as Part of Cycling, Driving Experiment
Link to story and video on KVUE-TV:
6) Red-Light Camera Cash Could Balance Budget, Louisiana Parish Considers
Link to article in The Times-Picayune:
7) Mystery of Argleton, the ‘Google’ Town that Only Exists Online
Link to article in The Telegraph:
8) US Navy to Increase Broadband Speed Tenfold
Link to article in Government Computer News:
9) Highlights from the Second International Field Operational Testing Workshop at the ITS World Congress
Link to article and presentations from ERTICO-ITS Europe:
SAFETY / SECURITY
10) Indianapolis has First Ambulance-Based Wireless Medical Records System
Link to article in Federal Computer Week:
11) When Texting Kills, Britain Offers Path to Prison
Link to article in The New York Times:
12) How Can We Promote Greater Awareness of Transportation Safety?
Link to comments on the National Journal’s Transportation Experts Blog:
13) Safety Maintenance and Surface Weather
Link to report from the Transportation Research Board:
14) T-Mobile Joins Cellular Carriers Providing Service in CTA Red, Blue Line Tunnels
Link to column in the Chicago Tribune:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
15) Get Traffic Updates in Chennai Through FM Radios
Traffic police send SMS updates through thirteen FM stations.
Link to article on SiliconIndia:
TRB Webinar: Maintenance Practices for Traffic Sign Retroreflectivity – November 17
Today in Transportation History
1909 **100th anniversary** – Henry Farman sent an flight endurance record of four hours, 17 minutes and 53 seconds.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe send an e-mail to: email@example.com
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2009 Bernie Wagenblast