Monday, December 21, 2009 – ISSN 1529-1057
Registration Opens for ITS America’s 20th Annual Meeting & Exposition, May 3-5, 2010, Houston, Texas
ITS America’s 20th Annual Meeting & Exposition, May 3-5, 2010 in Houston, Texas, will bring together a diverse community of transportation professionals, business leaders, elected officials, and federal and state public agency representatives for three days of thought leadership in the debate over the nation’s transportation future. We invite you to take this opportunity to make business connections, experience the most comprehensive exhibition of smart technologies, earn Professional Development Hours, and take home best practices from leading ITS professionals. Special rates are available for public sector employees and first-time attendees. To register, go to www.itsa.org/amregistration.html.
1) Airlines Eye ‘Contact-Less’ Travel
Link to AFP article:
2) A Dream for an Airline and a Hotel Chain
American Airlines gets lots of positive screen-time in new movie.
Link to article in The New York Times:
Link to Up in the Air site: http://www.theupintheairmovie.com/
3) Education Key to Reversing Trend in Bicycle Accidents
Link to article in the Pres-Telegram:
Link to BikeLongBeach.org: http://bikelongbeach.org/
4) North Carolina Turnpike Authority Awards Electronic Toll System Contracts
Link to story on WRAL-TV:
5) Southern States do a U-turn on Toll Roads
Link to article in USA Today:
6) New Toll Lanes Untangle Commutes
Link to article in USA Today:
7) Port Canaveral, Florida Moves Ahead on $9 Million Joint Port Intelligence and Operation Center Complex
Link to article in the Orlando Business Journal:
8) Reservation System Eyed for Washington State Ferries
Link to story on KOMO-TV:
9) First Electronic Information Board Unveiled in Qatar
EIBs will be installed in busy pedestrian areas to provide instant information for residents and tourists.
Link to article in The Peninsula:
10) Implementing Transportation Knowledge Networks
Link to further information from the Transportation Research Board:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
11) Thousands of Road Safety Posters Lie Unused in South Africa
Link to article from the Weekend Argus:
12) New Jersey DOT’s Lens Not Focused on Atlantic City
No camera views available online of Atlantic City or County.
Link to editorial in The Press of Atlantic City:
SAFETY / SECURITY
13) Risky Roads – Traffic Experts have an Arsenal of Solutions
Link to article in the Press-Telegram:
14) Encryption of Drone Feeds Won’t Finish Until 2014, US Air Force Says
Link to article in The Washington Post:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
15) Pune ‘Intelligent Transport System’ to be Managed by Private Agency
Link to article in The Indian Express:
16) Big Brother to Watch KZN
Freeway management system coming to Durban.
Link to article in The Independent on Saturday:
17) Coordinated Technology Could Help Fight Gridlock in Reno
Link to article in the Reno Gazette-Journal:
18) New Jersey Highway Signs Will Get More to Say
Link to article in The Record:
19) Monitoring Traffic at the Lincoln Tunnel from Inside the Tunnel
Link to article and video in The Star-Ledger:
20) Ford Cars to Become Wi-Fi Hot Spots
Link to CNET News article:
Link to news release from Ford:
21) With Improved Features, It’s a Safer Driving World
Link to article in The Boston Globe:
The Location Business Summit – April 28-29 – Amsterdam
Today in Transportation History
1829 **180th anniversary** – The Carrollton Viaduct, the first masonary arch railroad bridge in the US, was officially opened. The bridge is still in use.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe send an e-mail to: email@example.com
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2009 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net