Tuesday, February 23, 2010 – ISSN 1529-1057
Discuss Federal Legislative Initiatives at IBTTA Legislative Conference – March 22-23, 2010 in Washington, DC
Join the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association on March 22-23, 2010 in Washington, DC and participate in discussions on federal legislative initiatives with leaders in the transportation policy debate. Topics will include transportation authorization, electronic tolling interoperability, vehicle miles traveled (VMT) charging, the proposed Office of Public Benefit, and other important issues affecting tolling and road pricing. Participants will spend Tuesday afternoon visiting their congressional representatives to advance tolling initiatives on Capitol Hill. This meeting is ideal for toll industry professionals interested in US Federal and transportation legislation and regulations affecting the toll industry. Visit www.IBTTA.org for registration, hotel and travel information and to view the preliminary agenda. [More…
1) California Bill Would Raise Hands-Free, Texting Fines, Extend Ban to Bicyclists
Link to article in The Sacramento Bee:
2) Virtual Maps to Help in Indian Disaster Management
Link to article in The Hindu:
GPS / NAVIGATION
3) Jamming of GPS Signals Threatens Vital Services
Link to article in the Financial Times:
4) New Jersey Toll-Takers Rude, Lewd and Racist, Complaints Charge
Link to article in The Philadelphia Inquirer:
5) Cities Shortening Yellow Traffic Lights for Deadly Profit
Link to commentary on AlterNet:
SAFETY / SECURITY
6) Man Cited During Traffic Stop Fears His Picture Might End Up Online
Link to story and video on KENS-TV:
7) ‘Embrace Life’ Goes Viral
PSA promoting seat belt use turns into a worldwide phenomenon.
Link to CNN video story:
8) Google Transit Launches in Europe
Link to IDG News Service article:
9) Maryland Transit Administration Chief on How Agency Can do Better with Snow
Improved communications is at the top of his list.
Link to article in The Baltimore Sun:
10) Transit Smart Cards to be Adopted in Calgary by 2012
Link to article in the Calgary Herald:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
11) Olympic Transportation Issues Being Dealt with as They Arise
Link to article in Pique:
12) Dedicated Buses, 24×7 Monitoring of Transport for Commonwealth Games Athletes
Link to Sify article:
13) New Resources from US DOT
– Searchable Tool: Traffic Incident Management (TIM) Performance Measurement Knowledgebase
– A Domestic Scan of Congestion Pricing and Managed Lanes
– Federal Highway Administration Focus States Initiative: Traffic Incident Management Performance Measures Final Report
14) Could Electronics be What’s Causing Runaway Cars?
Link to article in USA Today:
15) Technology Solutions Newsmaker Q&A: Michael Gile
Interview with the founder of Fuzzy Luke, creator of a vehicle diagnostic application for mobile phones.
Link to interview in Aftermarket Business:
High Speed Rail 2010 – March 4-5 – Orlando, Florida
Today in Transportation History
1940 **70th anniversary** A squadron of British and French warships began a blockade of the north coast of Sweden, Norway and the Soviet Union.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, please visit:
If you have any difficulties please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2010 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net