Wednesday, February 17, 2010 – ISSN 1529-1057
Unspeakable Truths: Is Transforming Transportation A Key To Solving America’s Economic Crisis?
In his fourth book in four years, Professor Joseph M. Giglio argues that our thinking about Transforming Transportation in America must evolve to reflect how the Financial Meltdown and Economic Crisis have changed our world.
To help understand why, his book begins by reviewing how the Current Economic Crisis came about and what impact it’s likely to have on life in America. He provides clear, detailed explanations of the Great Financial Meltdown of 2008, the whys and wherefores of subjects like Oil Price Volatility, the Crazy World of Financial Derivatives, and the Housing and Mortgage Mess. Plus the down-and-dirty realities of Markets in the 21st Century. Finally, he explores some of the things we’ll have to do to Make It Big in the much changed world of the 21stCentury, such as transforming our Transportation Systems into Serious Economic Growth Generators. The book is available on Amazon and from the publisher, the Hudson Institute.
1) Los Angeles Airport Commission Approves More Runway Safety Lights
Link to article in the Daily Breeze:
Link to news release from Los Angeles World Airports:
2) Britons Found Intercepting ATC-Pilot Conversation near New Delhi Airport
Link to article in The Economic Times:
3) Intense Backlash Against Arizona Speed Cameras
Link to story and audio report on NPR’s Morning Edition:
GPS / NAVIGATION
4) Ski Resorts Use GPS to Let Skiers Track Runs, Vertical Drop
Link to ABC News story and video:
5) US Coast Guard Deploys Improved Alert System
Link to article in Signal:
6) Report on Public Authorities Platform Meeting on February 4
Link to article on ERTICO – ITS Europe:
7) Belgian Train Crash: EU Pleads Not Guilty
Link to article on EurActiv:
SAFETY / SECURITY
8) Oregon’s Proposed Emergency Radio Network Hits Static
Link to article in The Oregonian:
9) OnStar CIO’s Career Success is No Accident
Link to article in Computerworld:
10) Cell Phones in Public Transportation
Link to article in Mass Transit:
11) Groundbreaking Travel Management Coordination Center Set to Open in Paducah, Kentucky
Link to article in Mass Transit:
12) New York City Transit Neglects C Train Riders During Major Subway Service Changes
Little or no information provided to passengers about disruption.
Link to article in the Daily News:
13) E-mails with Links a Recipe for WMATA Site Overload
Link to blog on Greater Greater Washington:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
14) Portland, Oregon Intelligent Transportation Systems Seek Funding
Link to article in the Daily Journal of Commerce:
15) Colorado DOT Traffic Management Makes I-70 Holiday Return Trip Smoother than Expected
Link to article on INDenverTimes:
1) Sprint Launches Interactive Now Network Experience at JFK International Airport
2) ACS to Provide Real-Time Passenger Information System to Nashville Metropolitan Transit Authority
3) Theme Announced for 2010 National Work Zone Awareness Week
4) Tackling Traffic Congestion and Air Pollution with Artificial Intelligence
Webinar: Integrating the National Unified Goal into Traffic Incident Management Programs – February 24
Today in Transportation History
1965 **45th anniversary** – Ranger 8 was launched en route to the Moon.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, please visit:
If you have any difficulties please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2010 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net