Monday, March 29, 2010 – ISSN 1529-1057
Only Five Weeks Away: Be Sure to Register for ITS America’s 20th Annual Meeting & Expo, May 3-5, 2010, at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston, Texas.
- FHWA Administrator Victor Mendez joins the lineup of USDOT Presidential Appointees and executives at USDOT’s May 4 Opening Plenary. Speakers Include Administrators of NHTSA, FMCSA and RITA as well as Deputy Administrators of FTA, FRA and RITA.
- Reserve your hotel room now. Rooms are 90% sold, and conference rates expire April 9.
- Can’t attend? Register for our technical session webinars. Click “Attendee Registration”; enter your info; on “Profile Page,” scroll down to “Webinar” block.
- Exhibit space and sponsorship opportunities are still available.
1) Pocket GPS Used to Make Emergency Passenger Jet Landing in Russia
Link to RIA Novosti article:
2) Air Traffic Controller Talks About ‘Pushing Tin’
Link to article in the Daily Herald:
3) Columbus, Ohio Traffic-Camera Deal Won’t Face Competition
Link to article in The Columbus Dispatch:
4) Illinois Tollway May Get Words, Not Lights, When Toll is Paid
Link to column in the Chicago Tribune:
GPS / NAVIGATION
5) The 11 Mobile Apps You Need to Get Around Any City
Link to article on The Infrastructurist:
6) Radar to Spot Icebergs in Alaska’s Prince William Sound is Working Again
Link to article in Petroleum News:
7) ERTICO Interview with SINTEF
Link to interview:
8) New Jersey Exploring Selling Turnpike Rest-Stop Naming Rights
Link to AP article:
SAFETY / SECURITY
9) Apps to Curb Texting While Driving Have Tough Task
Link to AP article:
10) CeBIT in Motion – Telematics and ITS Joining the IT-Community
Link to ERTICO article:
11) Peterbilt Launches New In-Dash Telematics and Infotainment System
Link to article in Truck News:
12) Boston T Debuts Subway Wireless Service
Link to article in The Boston Globe:
13) Yale University Directing Parking Students to Transit via Personalized E-mail
Link to article in Metro:
14) Politicians Ask, and the New York MTA Jots It Down
State law requires agency to compile and publish every official communication from members of the legislature.
Link to article in The New York Times:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
15) West Virginia Installing Traffic Detection Cameras as Part of Larger Intelligent Transportation System
Link to article in The Journal:
16) India, Canada to Sign MOU for Cooperation in Highways, Transport Sector
Areas of cooperation include ITS, highway management and road safety.
Link to ANI article:
17) How ‘Black Boxes’ Help in Car Crash Reconstructions
Link to article in USA Today:
18) BMW and Siemens Car2X System Transmits Data Between Traffic Lights and Vehicles to Optimize Stop-Start Function
Link to article on Green Car Congress:
19) NASCAR Drivers and Fans Embrace Social Networks
Link to article in the Martinsville Bulletin:
International Road Federation World Road Meeting 2010 – May 25-28 – Lisbon
Today in Transportation History
1945 **65th anniversary** The final V-1 flying bomb attack against the UK took place.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, please visit:
If you have any difficulties please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2010 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net