Thursday, April 22, 2010 – ISSN 1529-1057
Register Now for IBTTA’s Upcoming Summit: The Future of Tolling – Going Mainstream Through ORT and Interoperability, May 23-25, 2010 in Boston, MA
Join the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association in Boston for the fourth Summit in a series of workshops focused on the hot topics of ORT and Interoperability. This Summit will bring together transportation experts who will focus on lessons learned, case studies, business Rules and future decision-making about all-electronic toll collection, interoperability, violation enforcement, and implications for vehicle miles traveled charging. Breakout sessions are divided into four main categories – On the Road and in the Car; Technology and Backroom Issues; Road Pricing and Financial Issues and In the Public and Policy Forum. IBTTA is exploring opportunities to involve university students and faculty from the Boston area in research connected with the main topics of this Summit. Click here for registration, hotel and travel information and to view the preliminary agenda. www.ibtta.org
1) Problems Plague New US Air Traffic Control Computers
Link to AP article:
2) Airlines, in Flight Again, See Lesson in Crisis
Industry officials see response to ash cloud as haphazard and urge speed in creating “single sky.”
Link to article in The Wall Street Journal:
3) Review: Many Sick Airline Passengers Aren’t Reported
Link to article in USA Today:
4) FCC Claims Three Radio Stations Caused Interference with Lubbock Airport Landing System
Link to story on KJTV-TV:
GPS / NAVIGATION
5) Southwest Airlines Counts on GPS to Save Time, Money
Link to story and video on WFAA-TV:
6) World’s First ITS-Specific Test Track Takes Shape
Link to article from ERTICO:
7) Los Angeles Metro Transportation Library Launches ‘Primary Resources’ Blog
Link to blog:
8) Feds Say CN Underreported Blocked Illinois Rail Crossings
Link to article in the Southtown Star:
9) After Haiti, Chile Earthquakes, British Columbia Bridges Monitored for Seismic Events
An online system being developed with Chile to measure ground motion.
Link to article in the Daily Commercial News and Construction Record:
SAFETY / SECURITY
10) Do Databases Cross a Line in Border Checks?
Link to article in USA Today:
11) Virginia Stamps Out License to Hate: DMV Recalls Plate with Coded Racist Message
Link to article in The Washington Post:
– Call for Abstracts – Poster Section – Naturalistic Driving Research Symposium – Virginia Tech Transportation Institute
FISITA World Automotive Congress – May 30-June 4 – Budapest
Today in Transportation History
1930 **80th anniversary** The United Kingdom, Italy, France, Japan and the United States signed the London Naval Treaty to reduce and limit naval armaments.
1970 **40th anniversary** The first Earth Day was observed.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, please visit:
If you have any difficulties please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2010 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net