Wednesday, August 25, 2010 – ISSN 1529-1057
Get involved in the TRB sponsored 2011 International Transportation Economic Development Conference. Submit an abstract! Subjects and perspectives will include public and private sectors; academic, practitioner and policy issues; theory, concepts and operational tools; and all transportation modes and their relationship to economic development. All abstracts must be received by Wednesday, September 15, 2010. Authors should take care to ensure that abstracts submitted follow the guidelines shown (see http://www.ited2011.org/program.html).
Questions can be directed to conference planning staff at Meetings Northwest (866-633-8110).
1) Introduction to Road Data – Part One
Link to article in Directions Magazine:
GPS / NAVIGATION
2) Satnav Put to Traffic Test in South Africa
Link to article on ITWeb:
3) Advanced Communications Support US Department of Defense in Pakistan Flood Relief
Link to article on Nextgov:
4) UK Launches ERTOC Project to Improve Transport Efficiency and Sustainability; Track the Carbon Costs of Transport at the Consignment Level
Link to article from Green Car Congress:
5) Amtrak Power and Communication Lines Falter
Railroad says notifying the media is its first priority rather than its Web site or Twitter updates.
Link to story on WTOP Radio:
6) Victoria to Institute Stricter Rules on Signage in Work Zones
Link to article in The Courier:
SAFETY / SECURITY
7) California to Deploy Nation’s First Mass Mobile Alert System
Link to article in Government Technology:
8) Transportation Security Laboratory Looks for Ways to Improve Threat Detection
Link to article and video in The Star-Ledger:
9) Webcams Show Progress of Light Rail Construction in Seattle
Link to blog on seattlepi.com:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
10) TV Traffic Feeds Available to Gwinnett County, Georgia Commuters
Link to article in the Gwinnett Daily Post:
11) Nine Secrets to Surviving Summer Traffic Jams
Pre-trip information one key to avoiding tie-ups.
Link to ABC News story:
– IT Specialist (Network Services) – Research and Innovative Technology Administration – Cambridge, Massachusetts
Transport Systems Telematics 10th International Conference – October 20-23 – Katowice-Ustron, Poland
Today in Transportation History
1950 **60th anniversary** President Truman ordered the US Army to take control of the nation’s railroads in anticipation of a strike.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2010 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net