Tuesday, August 3, 2010 – ISSN 1529-1057
IBTTA 78th Annual Meeting & Exhibition — Register Today! Early Bird Discount Ends August 22, 2010
Come to San Diego, September 12-15, 2010, for IBTTA’s 78th Annual Meeting & Exhibition, the year’s most highly-anticipated learning and networking event — attracting more than 700 toll industry experts and decision makers from across the globe. Under the theme, Sustainable Transportation, the technical program offers tracks focused on innovation, policy, the economy, and the California tolling experience. Hosted by the California Toll Operators Committee (CTOC), this event features interactive seminars, influential speakers, technical tours and special events, informative exhibits and more! Customized sponsorship and exhibitor packages are available. Visit IBTTA’s website for details.
1) Bing Maps Gets Taxi Fare Calculator
Link to blog on ARS Technica:
2) US DOT Employees Now Have an ‘IdeaHub’ to Voice Ideas and Concerns
Link to article in The Press of Atlantic City:
3) Articles from Public Roads
- IntelliDrive: Safer, Smarter, Greener
- Transportation Lessons from Central Europe
4) Give Me a Sign
A photographer’s artwork also serves as a fun game for truckers.
Link to article in RoadKing:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
5) Pennsylvania Governor to Take a Bus to Ask Citizen Support for Transportation Funds
Link to article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
6) Will Texas Stadium Signs Lead to Super Confusion?
Texas DOT says the signs won’t be taken down anytime soon even though stadium was demolished over three months ago and Super Bowl happens in February.
Link to story on KXAS-TV:
7) Keeping Roads Clear of Deer
Utah DOT implementing program that uses dual-sensory deterrents to keep deer from wandering onto roads while cars are driving by.
Link to article in Governing:
SAFETY / SECURITY
8) ‘NEED Help!': Biker’s Twitter Followers Call for Ambulance
Link to article in USA Today:
9) DC Metro to Add Signs on How to Contact Cops
Link to article in The Examiner:
10) DC Metro Fare Hikes Delayed Until Fare Signs are Updated
Link to article in The Examiner:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
11) Police Department Goes High-Tech in Hubli and Dharwad with Opening of Traffic Management Center
Link to article in The Times of India:
12) Innovation, Technology Hold Promise for Cutting Congestion
Link to article by Texas Governor Rick Perry in The Steering Wheel:
13) Volvo’s Self-Stopping Car
Automaker has a new system that automatically brakes before your car hits pedestrians.
Link to article in Forbes:
14) Driverless Cars Just Around the Corner
Link to article in The Kansas City Star:
15) Testing iPhone 4 FaceTime with Chrysler’s In-Car Wi-Fi
Link to blog on Cars.com:
The Role of NextGen at Airports – October 3-5 – Denver
Today in Transportation History
1900 **110th anniversary** The Firestone Tire and Rubber Company was founded in Akron, Ohio.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2010 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net