Monday, November 29, 2010 – ISSN 1529-1057
Thank you to everyone who has helped support the TCN during my November fundraising drive! As I mentioned at the beginning of the month, this is part of a twice-a-year fundraising effort for the TCN. In case you missed my previous notes, you can contribute to the TCN with a check or via PayPal. For those who prefer, I can even send you an invoice.
Information on how to contribute is included at the bottom of today’s edition. In addition to financial support, there are other ways you can help the TCN. You can tell others about the TCN and let them know they can subscribe by sending me a note. You can also buy an ad or use my transportation voice-over services. More information on my voice-over work can be found atwww.bwcommunications.net. Please let me know if you have any questions and again, thank you.
1) Laser-Driven System Replaces Ground Personnel Who Directed Pilots Into Gates
Link to article in the Chicago Tribune:
2) World-Class Air Traffic Management System for Oman
Link to article in the Oman Daily Observer:
3) How Intelligent Flight Paths Can Reduce Delays, Noise, Carbon Emissions
Link to blog on SmartPlanet:
4) Google Maps Faces July 2010 Deadline on China Regulations
Link to IDG News Service article:
5) Does GPS Spell the End to Maps?
While technology is having an impact on the art of map-reading, it’s not charting the end for cartography.
Link to article in the Star Tribune:
6) Mandatory Use of In-Car Devices for Tolls is Questioned in Taiwan
Link to article in the Taipei Times:
7) Florida Goes After Abandoned Boats
Database will track derelict and abandoned vessels.
Link to article in The Miami Herald:
Link to news release from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission:
8) Russian Railways and Italian Firm to Work to Modernize Technology on Rail System
Link to article in The Moscow Times:
Link to news release from Russian Railways:
9) READ THIS: Local Governments in US Told to Buy New Street Signs
Link to story and video on ABC’s Good Morning America:
Link to news release from US DOT:
Additional information from Snopes.com:
10) Utah DOT Hits Social Media with Weather Updates
Link to article in the Standard-Examiner:
11) Electronic Sign Fight Pits Safety Against Scenery in South Carolina
Link to McClatchy Newspapers article:
SAFETY / SECURITY
12) Wyoming Makes Changes in Collection of Crash Data Information
Link to article in the Star-Tribune:
13) US Navy’s Trident Nuclear Warheads Hit the Highway, Bound for Texas
Trucks are tracked 24/7 by satellite but information on shipments not shared with civilian authorities.
Link to article in the Kitsup Sun:
14) A Media False Alarm Over the TSA
Link to column in The New York Times:
15) Vision Zero International – January 2011 Issue Online
Link to magazine:
16) Persistent Track Sensor Woes Continue to Plague DC Metro
Link to article in The Examiner:
17) Minnesota Transit Union Challenges New Policy on Cell Phones
Link to article in the Star Tribune:
18) Denver’s Upcoming Cannabis Convention Advertises on RTD Buses
Link to article in The Denver Post:
19) Indian Buses to be Equipped with GPS
Link to article in Daily News & Analysis:
20) Viaduct Sensors Help Chicago Transit Authority Bridge Budget Gap
Link to column in the Chicago Tribune:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
21) Many Traffic Cams Up and Running on I-95 Through Florida’s Treasure Coast
Link to article in The Tribune:
22) Travel-Time Information Proposed for M5 Widening in Sydney
Link to article in the Bay Post:
23) California Highway Patrol, California DOT to Share Inland Empire Transportation Management Center
Link to article in The Sun:
24) Best Android Apps for Your Car
Link to article on CNET UK:
Checks or money orders may be mailed to:
1 Aberdeen CT
Cranford, NJ USA 07016-2911
You may also donate online via PayPal at:
Webinar: Inrix XD Traffic – December 15
Today in Transportation History
1910 **100th anniversary** The first US patent for a traffic signal system was issued to Ernest E. Sirrine.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2010 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net