Monday, December 6, 2010 – ISSN 1529-1057
1) EU Moves Towards a Single Sky
Link to article in The Financial:
2) Utah Airport Uses Radar in Wildlife Assessment
Link to AP article:
3) Ridgeland, South Carolina Mayor Blasts Newspapers, Defends Use of Highway Traffic Cameras
Link to article and video in The Beaufort Gazette:
4) ‘EZ’ Go: Massachusetts Turnpike to Lose $500,000
With turnpike now under state control, bank sponsorship of electronic toll lanes must end.
Link to article in the Boston Herald:
GPS / NAVIGATION
5) Crash Hurts Russia Satellite Challenge to US GPS
Link to Reuters article:
6) After Lorries, Indian Buses Need to Install GPS
Link to article in The Times of India:
7) A Whole New Name Game
Parks, transit, schools consider corporate monikers in bid to plug budget gaps.
Link to article in The Wall Street Journal:
8) How Hyperlocal Media are Taking Urban Planning to the Streets
Link to article in Next American City:
9) Spending Big on Safety
BNSF’s accident rate dropped 28% in the past decade, and collision-related fatalities dropped 42%.
Link to article in the Star Tribune:
10) Mississippi DOT Tries New Truck Weigh Plan
The $3.5 Million Smart Roadside System can weigh trucks as they’re moving, check records.
Link to article in The Clarion-Ledger:
11) Sign, Sign, Nowhere is a Sign Warning Delaware Motorists of New Texting Law
Link to commentary in The News Journal:
SAFETY / SECURITY
12) High-Tech Measures to Stop Wrong-Way Cars
Link to article and videos in Newsday:
13) South African Railway Police Refuse ACs in CCTV Monitor Room, Saying They’ll Put Them to Sleep
Link to article in Mid Day:
14) TSA Blog Fights Back Against Satire
Link to column on CNET News:
Link to The TSA Blog: http://blog.tsa.gov/
15) Fort Worth Pastors Call for Bus Boycott Over Signs
Link to article in the Star-Telegram:
16) GPS Technology Set to Speed Up Bus Ride in Austin, Texas
Link to story and video on KXAN-TV:
17) What Makes the Wi-Fi Bus Successful?
Link to article in Mass Transit:
18) Transit Systems Move to Mobile Tech
Link to article in the International Business Times:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
19) Officials Analyze New York Thruway Snow Woes
Stakeholders say improved interagency coordination and better information sharing to and from drivers would help.
Link to article in The Buffalo News:
20) Travel-Time Signs Ruled Out on Alberta Highway
Link to article in the Calgary Herald:
21) Seeing the Big Picture: New Fiber Optic Network Gives Engineers a Better Look at Phoenix-Area Traffic
Link to article in MAGAZine:
22) New Electronic System on I-95 Will Aid Treasure Coast Motorists in Florida
Link to editorial in The Stuart News:
23) Kyiv, Ukraine to Commission Computer-Based System for Managing Traffic in 2011
Link to Ukrainian News Agency article:
24) Electric Steering Creates Opportunities for Driver Assistance
Link to article on just-auto:
American Bus Association Marketplace & Product Pavilion – January 8-12 – Philadelphia
Today in Transportation History
1990 **20th anniversary** An Aermacchi MB.326 crashed into a school in Casalecchio di Reno, Italy. Twelve students were killed.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2010 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net