Friday, January 21, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
Join ITS America Webinar Series on GEWI’s Traffic Technology Tour, Jan. 28 @ 1pm EST
The 2011 ITS America Webinar Series continues Friday, Jan. 28, at 1 p.m. EST with a presentation by GEWI on the highlights of its North America Traffic Technology Tour. The session will address location referencing and harmonization, data exchange between systems and connected vehicles/IntelliDrive, and real time data for traffic navigation systems. To register for the Jan. 28th session, click here. GEWI is the developer of TIC, used in over 125 projects around the world to process traffic data for both public and private sector clients. For more information on GEWI or the Traffic Technologies Webinar, contact Jim O’Neill firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) O’Hare Airport to Feature Ads in Bathroom Mirrors
Link to article in the Chicago Tribune:
Link to news release from Clear Channel Airports:
2) Vehicle Cameras Improve Safety for Teen Drivers
Link to article in The Kansas City Star:
3) Pentagon Approves Navy Plan to Develop Shipboard Network
Link to article on Nextgov:
Link to further information from Northrop Grumman:
Link to further information from Lockheed Martin:
4) Articles from CTS Research E-News
– Cell Phones Used to Receive Traffic Safety Messages
– Camera Networks for Security and Traffic Applications
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
5) New Video Helps Drive Message to Port Truckers
Link to blog and video from the Environmental Defense Fund:
6) Control System Fails for Japan’s Bullet Trains
Link to article in The Yomiuri Shimbun:
Link to statement from JR East:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/apology/20110117_shinkansen.html (in Japanese)
SAFETY / SECURITY
7) Man on Trial for Refusing to Show ID to TSA Agents
Link to story and video on KOMO-TV:
8) Technology Will Eliminate Intrusive Airport Security Searches, Says IATA Boss
Link to CP article:
Link to article in Airlines International:
9) A Short-Circuit to Distracted Driving
Cell carriers are exploring technology aimed at reducing distractions by temporarily interrupting service.
Link to article in The New York Times:
10) Keeping Your Hands on the Wheel, Off the Keyboard
Link to article and video in The Miami Herald:
11) Green Telematics: The Eco-driving Opportunity
Link to article in Telematics Update:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
12) Social Networking Sites to Keep Tab on Indian Highways’ Condition
Link to article in The Times of India:
Link to news release from the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways:
13) Car Shoppers Want Wi-Fi Connection
Link to blog on MoneyWatch:
14) SARTRE Vehicle Platooning Project Carries Out First Successful Test
Link to article in Traffic Technology International:
ASME/ASCE/IEEE 2011 Joint Rail Conference – March 16-18 – Pueblo, Colorado
Anyone can look at a New York City subway map, but how many can play one?
Today in Transportation History
1911 **100th anniversary** The first Rallye Automobile Monte-Carlo was held.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net