Wednesday, January 12, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
1) Customs Key to Paperless Trading
Link to article in Air Cargo World:
2) 17-Years of FAA Delays on NTSB Air Safety Recommendations
Among recommendations are transponders for gliders and ongoing training for collision alerts.
Link to column in The Examiner:
3) What I Learned Serving on the Government’s ‘Future of Aviation’ Panel
A breakdown in communications among key players is one reason for problems in the airline industry.
Link to column in USA Today:
4) Missouri Adopts Traffic Camera Policy for State Roads
Link to AP article:
Link to statement from American Traffic Solutions:
5) Technology Experience on a Cruise Almost as Important as the Cabaret
Link to article and video on Tnooz:
6) Turkey to Upgrade Lahore’s Transport System
Investments in bus rapid transit and ITS among those being considered.
Link to article in the Daily Times:
7) India’s First GPS-Based Autorickshaw Fare Calculator Launched
Link to IANS article:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
8) FAA Highlights ‘Click It, Don’t Risk It’ Injury Prevention
Link to article in Air Transport Intelligence:
Link to notice from the FAA:
9) State DOTs Use Online Newscasts to Educated the Public About Transportation
Link to article in the AASHTO Journal:
SAFETY / SECURITY
10) Paris Police Use Facebook for Car Crash Witnesses
Link to Reuters article:
11) Innovation: The Distress Alerting Satellite System
Link to article in GPS World:
12) Google Transit Search Gets Smarter
Link to article on ReadWriteWeb:
13) Montgomery County, Maryland’s Ride On Bus System Goes High-Tech with Real-Time Info
Link to article in The Gazette:
14) Social Media: Transit Agencies Connect with Riders in New Ways
Link to column in Progressive Railroading:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
15) Congestion-Easing Technology Coming to More Kent Towns
Link to BBC News story:
16) Skymeter: Using Connected Cars as Credit Cards
Link to article on TheStreet:
17) Trucking Technology in the Next Decade: Safety and Productivity to Drive Advancements
Link to article in Heavy Duty Trucking:
18) Nevada DMV’s Solution to Long Waits in Line: Kiosks, for a Few Extra Dollars
Link to article in the Las Vegas Sun:
19) An Inside Look at Ford’s VIRTTEX Safe Driving Simulator
Link to article on Earth & Industry:
20) What Gen Y Drivers Really Want from Their Cars: New Survey
Among findings: in-car technology a top buying decision, majority want to work with dealers online.
Link to column on CNBC:
21) Roadway Geometry and Inventory Trade Study for IntelliDrive Applications
Link to report from FHWA:
1) Southwest Airlines’ Pilots Begin Flying Required Navigation Performance Efficient Procedures at 11 Airports
2) Strategic Partnership Between Peek Traffic and Telvent
3) Continental Offers Intelligent Solution for Growing Information and Communication Requirements of Electric Vehicles
4) American Way, Magazine of American Airlines and American Eagle, Commemorates 45-Years of Publication with a Full Redesign
5) TripAdvisor Adds Airline Ratings to Flight Search
6) Library of Congress Selects Navteq to Provide Map Data and Content
Panama Maritime Conference & Exhibition – February 13-16 – Panama City, Panama
Today in Transportation History
1911 **100th anniversary** The first airplane flight in Fort Worth, Texas took place during an aviation meet.
1986 **25th anniversary** Space Shuttle Mission STS-61C, with Congressman Bill Nelson aboard, was launched.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net