Tuesday, March 29, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
Countdown to IBTTA’s Organization Management Workshop ― April 10-12, Jersey City, NJ
Register today for IBTTA’s Organization Management Workshop and keep current on the latest industry trends in building a better organization. If you are responsible for the communications, marketing, HR, finance, and administration in your organization, this meeting is for you! This popular workshop will focus on emerging issues and practical solutions related to advancing your organization and keeping stakeholders satisfied. Meeting highlights include Gerard Braud, Keynote Speaker and Crisis Communications Expert; general session on regional mobility challenges featuring a power panel of transportation executives and commissioners; communications open house, and more. Visit www.IBTTA.org/JERSEYCITY to view the brochure, register, and learn about sponsorship and exhibitor opportunities. To view IBTTA’s entire 2011 Education Series, click here.
1) Alaska Airlines, Horizon Air Presidents Post Video Apology for Computer Problems
Link to blog and video on seattlepi.com:
2) Florida MPO: Hit ‘Record’ Button on I-75 Cameras
Link to article in the Bradenton Herald:
3) Can and Should Online Mapping Services Match the Paper Map?
Link to podcast in Directions Magazine:
GPS / NAVIGATION
4) More Than 200 Trucking Companies Sued for GPS Patent Infringement
Link to article in Commercial Carrier Journal:
5) Men Don’t Trust GPS, Study Finds
Link to article in the Calgary Herald:
Link to news release from Swinton:
6) Florida DOT, Transportation Consultants Get an Earful Over Fiber Optics Access at MPO Meeting
Link to article in The Bradenton Times:
7) Maryland Rail Deal Would Put Holocaust Records Online, MARC Contractor Would Have to Disclose Ties
Link to AP article:
8) Family of Ambassador Bridge Owner Leads Image Redo
Link to article and video in The Detroit News:
9) Indian Railways to Use Satellite-Based System for Tracking Trains
Information will be provided to customers through a variety of means.
Link to article in The Economic Times:
10) Intercity Passenger and Freight Rail: Better Data and Communication of Uncertainties Can Help Decision Makers Understand Benefits and Trade-offs of Programs and Policies
Link to report from the US Government Accountability Office:
11) Know Your Traffic Signs with iOS Apps
Programs provide directory of road signs in US and UK.
Link to review on Product Reviews:
SAFETY / SECURITY
12) A New Twist on Disaster Response
An earthquake simulation demonstrated how government could harness social media in an emergency.
Link to article in Federal Computer Week:
13) New Colorectal Cancer Awareness Transit Ads Hit Roadblocks in Canada
Link to article in Marketing Magazine:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
14) New Hampshire Hangs Up on Its 511 System
Link to article in The Telegraph:
15) Keeping an Eye on the Traffic in York County, Pennsylvania
Link to article in the York Daily Record:
16) First Look at Columbia County, Georgia’s New Traffic Control Center
Link to story and video on WJBF-TV:
17) Delivering Critical Information to Drivers
Utilized correctly, new technology can provide timely info, reduce driver distraction.
Link to white paper from HNTB:
18) Ford’s Focus on Technology
Link to commentary on just-auto:
1) Amtrak to Notify Northeast Corridor Passengers of Major Service Disruptions via Twitter
2) American Express Announces Serve, the Next Generation Digital Payment Platform
3) DART RideShare Delaware Launches Interactive Ridesharing and Commute-Tracking System
4) Roadify Adds a Social Side to Transit and Traffic Reports to Create New York City’s First Dynamic Commuting Platform
5) TrafficLand Launches First Unified Traffic Camera Coverage of St. Louis Market
6) Texas DOT Warns Texans: Talk. Text. Crash.
Center for Transportation Studies Transportation Research Conference – May 24-25 – St. Paul, Minnesota
Today in Transportation History
1941 **70th anniversary** The Royal British and Royal Australian navies sank or severely damaged several ship of the Italian Regina Marina in a World War II battle off Greece’s Peloponnesian peninsula.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net