Tuesday, May 24, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
Register Today for IBTTA’s Transportation Finance and Policy Summit ― July 17-19, Baltimore, MD
Hosted by the Maryland Transportation Authority, IBTTA’s Transportation Finance and Policy Summit will feature interactive sessions covering the full range of issues affecting transportation finance, policy and funding from the action of central banks and congressional reauthorization to regulations affecting TIFIA and other credit assistance programs. Meeting highlights include: featured lunch speaker Beverley Swaim-Staley, Secretary, Maryland DOT; technical tour of the new Intercounty Connector; ceremony recognizing Mary Turkington, Kansas Turnpike Authority Chairman, as an IBTTA Honorary Member; and evening event at Oriole Park at Camden Yards (Orioles vs. Red Sox). Visit www.IBTTA.org/BALTIMORE to view the brochure, register, and learn about sponsorship and exhibitor opportunities. To view IBTTA’s entire 2011 Education Series, click here.
1) Two More Air Traffic Controllers Caught Sleeping, FAA Says
Link to Bloomberg article:
2) FAA to Fliers: Put Down that Magazine!
Link to article on MSNBC:
3) How to Follow European Ash Cloud Travel Updates on Social Media
Link to article on Tnooz:
4) As Seniors Increase, a Push to Make Streets Safer
Link to story and audio on NPR’s Morning Edition:
SAFETY / SECURITY
5) Yellow Dot Car Program Speeds Help to Crash Victims
Link to article in USA Today:
6) From Here to There: Marketing and Branding Public Transport
Link to blog on TheCityFix:
7) Mind the Map! The Impact of Transit Maps on Path Choice in Public Transit
Link to blog on The Transportationist:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
8) Ofcom Re-Awards More Services Licenses to Integrated Transport Information Services
Link to Dow Jones Newswires article:
9) Eyes in the Sky to Tackle Traffic in Trinidad and Tobago
Link to article in the Daily Express:
New Gadgets to Cut Road Deaths by Half
10) Kentucky Transportation Center Opens New Traffic Operations Lab
Link to article in The Link:
11) Is Google Motors the New GM?
Link to article in Fortune:
12) Google Scientist: Robot Cars Could Address Nation’s Transportation Infrastructure Crisis
Link to article on Talking Points Memo:
13) Louisiana House Panel Approves Bill for Split-Viewing Screens in Front Seat of Vehicles
Link to article in The Times-Picayune:
14) Automotive Black Boxes, Minus the Gray Area
Link to article in Wired:
– US DOT Seeks Comments on National ITS Architecture
– Call for Speakers – Polis Annual General Assembly and Annual Conference
AAAE General Aviation Issues and Security Conference – June 26-28 – St. Louis
Today in Transportation History
1961 **50th anniversary** The Freedom Riders were arrested in Jackson, Mississippi after disembarking from their bus.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net