Tuesday, July 19, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
Register Today for IBTTA’s 79th Annual Meeting & Exhibition: Making the Difference ― September 11-14, 2011 in Berlin, Germany
Join IBTTA in Berlin for what promises to be the year’s largest gathering of toll industry professionals. With presentations from more than 90 industry experts, representing 25 countries around the world, the IBTTA Annual Meeting offers a unique learning and business opportunity! An outstanding technical program with tracks on interoperability, tolling infrastructure around the world, communications, and environment/social responsibility – make your plans today! Visit www.IBTTA.org/BERLIN to view the preliminary brochure, register, and learn about sponsorship and exhibitor opportunities.
1) US-India to Cooperate on Flight Navigation Systems
Link to Indo-Asian News Service article:
Link to news release from the India Ministry of Civil Aviation:
2) Atlantic City International Achieves Virtual Expansion with Technology Upgrades
Link to article in Airport Improvement:
3) Austin-Bergstrom International Teams with American Airlines and TSA in Self-Tag Pilot
Link to article in Airport Improvement:
4) Sensis Aims to Improve Traffic Around Airport Gates
Link to article in the Central New York Business Journal:
5) Microsoft Bing Taps Gigwalk’s iPhone ‘Mobile Workforce’
People get paid to take photos of items such as streets signs for navigation companies.
Link to blog in The Seattle Times:
6) Pay-by-Phone Parking Still Imperfect in DC
Link to story on WTOP Radio:
7) No Tickets for Texting and Walking in Philadelphia
Link to story on WPVI-TV:
SAFETY / SECURITY
8) Los Angeles International Airport Blames Technical Failures for Ongoing Security Woes
Link to story on KNBC-TV:
9) South Australia Police Goes Online
Link to article in Blueprint:
10) The Role of Libraries and Librarians in Disaster Risk Reduction and Response
Link to transcript of EMForum.org presentation:
11) Pushing Buttons: Trying the OnStar Aftermarket Mirror
Link to article in Consumer Reports:
12) New South Wales Public Transport Wi-Fi in New Agency’s Hands
Link to article on iTnews.com.au:
13) Utah Transit Authority Hopes to Improve Rider Communication with New Signs
Link to article in the Deseret News:
14) MBTA’s YouTube Video Enlightens Commuters on the Ins and Outs of Quiet Cars
Link to article in The Boston Globe:
Link to video: http://youtu.be/u2pV8-TeEk4
15) Public Participation Strategies for Transit
Link to report from the Transportation Research Board:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
16) Metropolitan Manila Development Authority Unveils Online Traffic Navigator System
Link to article on Newsbytes Philippines:
Link to news release from the MMDA:
Link to Metro Manila Traffic Navigator:
17) The Carmageddon Effect
Is the real story here about good transportation planning?
Link to article on Planetizen:
18) Summary of Responses to November 2010 Request for Information on Real-Time System Management Information Program
Link to notice in the Federal Register:
19) Integrate Traffic Data with IBM Intelligent Transportation Using a Traffic Data Gateway
Link to further information from IBM:
20) Ford Sees All-Digital Car Audio Future
Link to article on just-auto:
21) Ford Proves the Blind Can Drive a Stick
Link to article in Wired:
22) Study Shows Automatic Braking Reduces Rear-End Crashes
Link to article in USA Today:
Link to news release from the Highway Loss Data Institute:
Podcar City: Stockholm – September 6-8 – Stockholm
Today in Transportation History
1911 **100th anniversary** Tolls were removed from the Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queensboro and Williamsburg bridges in New York City.
1961 **50th anniversary** TWA introduced the first regular in-flight movies. The first film shown was By Love Possessed.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net