Friday, July 29, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
1) Inside the Chicago Air Route Traffic Control Center in Aurora, Illinois
Link to article in the Daily Herald:
2) New York City Police Department’s ‘Ring of Steel’ Surveillance Network has 2,000 Cameras Running
Link to article in the New York Post:
3) Mapnificent Visualizes The Boundaries Of Public Transportation
Link to article in Fast Company:
4) FCC Ruling Favors Transportation-Related Use of 700 MHz Broadband Spectrum
Link to article in the AASHTO Journal:
5) iPhone or Android? Governments Ponder App Development Strategies
Link to article in Government Technology:
6) Cisco’s Smart+Connected Way to Transport
Link to interview on CIOL:
7) ERTICO’s iMobility Newsletter – July 2011
Link to newsletter:
8) Talking Technology and Transportation Webinars Online from US DOT
– Open Payments, Mobile Payments and Personal Identification Verification (PIV) Acceptance – Overview of Innovations in Public Transit Payment Systems (Webinar 2 in T3 Webinar Series ‘The Emergence of Open Electronic Payment Systems in Public Transit’)
– 2011 Enhancements to the ITS Knowledge Resources Websites: Improving Access to Information on ITS Benefits, Costs, Lessons Learned and Deployment
– Public Transit Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Implementations – Lessons Learned
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
9) Tucson, Arizona Police Department Uses Traffic-Camera Videos on YouTube to Promote Safety
Link to article in the Arizona Daily Star:
Link to Tucson Police YouTube channel:
SAFETY / SECURITY
10) Still No Warnings at Boat Ramp Where Fatal Accident Occurred
Link to article in The Daily Astorian:
11) Virginia Teens Train to be Youth Traffic-Safety Advocates
Link to story and video on WHST-TV:
12) GMAC: Insurance Telematics Can ‘Provide Significant Segmentation and Pricing Advantages’
Link to article in Telematics Update:
13) Congressmen Call on Metro-North to Improve Emergency Communications
Link to article in the Connecticut Post:
Link to news release:
14) Brisbane Commuters to Get Free Wi-Fi
Link to AAP article:
Link to news release:
15) New York MTA: We Get 700 Text Messages a Day for Bus Arrival Info
Link to article on Transportation Nation:
American Association of Port Authorities 100th Annual Convention – September 11-15 – Seattle
You’re never sure what those live traffic cameras are going to pick up during a broadcast. Here are a few interesting examples.
Today in Transportation History
1967 A rocket accidentally was launched on the USS Forrestal resulting in a fire and a number of explosions aboard the aircraft carrier. The disaster killed 135 sailors.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast email@example.com.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net