Job Title: Transit Data Planner I
Job ID: 118658
Date Closed: 12/04/2012
Business Unit: Charlotte Area Transit System
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
It is the mission of the Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) to improve the quality of life for everyone in the greater Charlotte region by providing outstanding community-wide public transportation services while proactively contributing to focused growth and sustainable regional development. The Transportation Planner I accomplishes this by utilizing transit operation data to support the implementation of service enhancements to CATS’ existing and future transit services. The Transportation Planner I analyzes information received from transit technology systems, i.e. Automatic Vehicle Locators (AVL), digital cameras, Automatic Passenger Counters (APC), GIS information and other databases, to develop route and service change plans. Proficiency in GIS applications and knowledge of database applications is highly desirable. Knowledge of transit practices is preferred.
- Conducts ongoing performance and cost analysis of existing transit services and make recommendations for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of bus services.
- Assists in the preparation and development of detailed transit planning reports, programs, and documents.
- Assist in the preparation of service change and service planning activities.
- Participate in the monitoring and reporting on the performance of CATS bus routes and overall system performance.
- Assist in the development and analysis of CATS Route Performance Program Reports.
- Participates in the development and maintenance of comprehensive bus stop databases.
- Collects statistical data and assist in report preparation.
- Responds to citizen and customer inquiries by explaining policies and/or investigating service issues.
- Conducts field evaluations and assessments, and participates in special projects as required.
- Some transit scheduling work is required.
- Coordinate and attends public and departmental meetings.
Requires a BA or BS degree in planning, geography or related field. Excellent verbal and written skills are required as the position coordinates aspects of database flow across functionary departments. Must be able to work flexible schedule. Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test, a criminal background check, DMV report and be eligible for a City Driving permit.