TO APPLY Send a one- or two-page letter describing why you are the person for the job with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Position available February 1. Applications accepted until the position is filled.
Because there are better ways to get around, the Bicycle Coalition’s Development Director will lead three fundraising teams: major gifts, membership and stewardship/database. These organization-wide teams are working to meet our 2014 strategic plan goals of raising $250,000 in major gifts, doubling membership to 3600 households and engaging our donors in our mission.
We have grown from an annual budget of $200,000 to $1,000,000 in just a few years — mainly through grants and contracts. To sustain our growth, we need to grow the individual support that is the core of our past and future as a membership organization.
Financial support from individuals provides a reliable stream of unrestricted money for our work, demonstrates community support, and produces members who are our best advocates, volunteers and education ambassadors.
Please visit www.bicyclecoalition.org/jobs to apply. Position available February 1. Applications accepted until the position is filled.
PURPOSE AND GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Making bicycling better through advocacy and education, the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia (BCGP) promotes biking as a healthy, low-cost, and environmentally-friendly form of transportation and recreation in ten counties in Southeast Pennsylvania, South Jersey and Delaware.
We believe in better ways to get around and:
- excellence in pursuit of our mission,
- a workplace where every person’s contribution is valued,
- representing the diversity of the community we serve,
- the joy of riding a bike, and
- working hard while still having time for family, friends and bike rides.
The Development Director will lead a team fundraising effort of board members, volunteers, the Executive Director and seven other staff from across the organization. (The Development Director directly supervises two staff.) Our fundraising is composed of three teams (major gifts, membership and stewardship/database) to achieve the goals of significantly increasing major gifts and membership laid out in the 2011-2014 Strategic Plan (you can find the plan at bicyclecoalition.org/about).
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The Development Director reports to the Executive Director. The Development Director will:
- Work primarily out of the Bicycle Coalition office
- Occasionally work outdoors
- Travel to suburban evening meetings as well as several national events a year
- Work some evenings and weekends
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Development Director will:
- Manage budgeting, planning and implementation for all fundraising, including major gifts, membership and stewardship
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Development Committee of the Board of Directors, implement a major donor campaign raising $250,000 from 400 identified donors
- Develop and implement a membership campaign to double membership to 3600 households over two years
- Manage the stewardship of all gifts, including managing donor data in Salesforce, workflows for acknowledgement, new members, recruiting volunteers and member communications
- Supervise two fundraising staff and lead three staff-wide fundraising teams
- Manage the Bicycle Coalition’s communications plan in coordination with the Policy Director and the Education & Safety Director
- Support the Executive Director and Policy Directors’ work on grant applications and stewardship
- A strong commitment to the Bicycle Coalition’s mission
- Three or more years of a demonstrated working knowledge of the principles and practices of philanthropy, especially raising money from individuals through membership/annual giving and major gifts
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of all ages, abilities, cultural groups, economic status or sexual orientation
- Ability to lead teams of volunteers and staff not under your direct supervision to achieve well-defined goals
- Experience in managing donor data in an organization-wide database
- Ability to complete work in an unstructured and informal environment with limited supervision
- Problem solving skills, creativity, flexibility and self-motivation
- A professional appearance and manner
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- A personal history of giving
- Experience in making major gift solicitations and coordinating the efforts of volunteers in making solicitations of up to $50,000
- Proven success in growing membership/annual fund giving, especially at an organization with a budget under $2 million
- Supervisory experience, especially leading teams that cross program areas
- Proven success in creating and managing direct mail campaigns
- Experience with online giving and an understanding of how online content and communications drive fundraising results
- Experience with Salesforce
This is an exempt position. Salary commensurate with experience.
The Bicycle Coalition is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age.