Sponsored by ITS America and the Southwest Research institute, the Student Essay Competition is designed each year to encourage student interest and future participation in the development of Intelligent Transportation Systems and solutions. The objective of the essay competition is to provide an opportunity for today’s transportation and engineering students to apply their knowledge in a thought-provoking and enjoyable competition and to build awareness of ITS as a career path with unlimited potential.
Students are asked to submit a 2,000-word essay on any one of the following topics:
- “Next Generation Cooperative Systems, how will they evolve?,” “How is ITS evolving?,” and
- “What are the technological barriers to near term realization of fully autonomous systems on U.S. highways?”
The first, second and third place winners will receive $1,500, $1,000 or $500 respectively. Additional recognition includes:
- The 1st place winner will be invited to attend the Awards ceremony at the ITS America Annual Meeting on Tuesday, April 23rd and be assisted financially to cover trip expenses.
- Receive a complimentary full registration to attend the conference.
- Have the opportunity to present their winning essay at the dedicated Interactive Session area in the exhibit hall.
- Have their winning essays displayed on the Student Essay Competition Web page of ITS America’s website.
- All three winners will be featured in nationally-distributed press releases.
Click here for the official for guidelines and application information.