Job Alert: Lead Transportation Specialist (Planner) – USDOT’s Federal Highway Administration @ Trenton, NJ
This is a planning, research, and environment team leader position within the New Jersey Division. You will lead a professional staff comprised of planners and environmental specialists. You will serve as the planning team leader and be the key staff officer to the Division Administrator for asset management planning, technical analysis, development, programming and implementation of Federal-aid projects. As the team leader, you will be responsible for overseeing all activities in transportation planning and programming, transportation/air quality planning, research, data collection, congestion management systems, and intermodal coordination in a diversified, highly urbanized and highly populated State. You will be responsible for supervising the Division Office Planning, Research, and Environment staff in all technical and administrative matters. You will also provide leadership, coordination and authoritative advice to State, local, industry, academic and other Federal agencies and organizations concerning all functions within scope of responsibilities.
The ideal candidate for this position will be an experienced mid-career transportation or planning professional who has experience in transportation planning, asset management, research, and environment and one who would be comfortable representing the agency to state and local officials and the general public. The candidate will be a team player, a leader; and has good communications skills. This position is also good for a person who wants to be challenged, desires a Federal career and is seeking outstanding benefits.
- Serves as the principal and technical authority to state, metropolitan, and rural agencies relative to securing sound planning programs for comprehensive transportation planning having a major impact on the agencies and communities (including all state, county, and municipal areas).
- Provides technical guidance in the planning, coordination, and evaluation of the State’s research program of studies financed with Federal funds, which are carried out in-house by State researchers or through contracts with universities, consulting firms, and other government organizations.
- Provides authoritative, administrative, and technical leadership, guidance and coordination to Division Office staff, the State and local agency officials and appropriate consultant personnel in the formulation, direction and execution of the environmental programs. Assures compliance with Federal laws affecting the early phases of highway project development, planning, and public involvement leading to highway location and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) approvals.
- Provides leadership and support to other disciplines in integrating transportation planning analysis and decision-making into other parts of the project development process.
- Provides guidance and technical assistance to Division staff, and state Department of Transportation and MPO staffs on Federal planning requirements, policies, and procedures. Justifies, defends, and negotiates matters involving significant issues and major programs.
- Serves as a team leader, and as such, sets and explains goals and plans and assigns work, develops performance standards and evaluates performance; approves hours of work, Telework arrangements and leave; signs time and attendance sheets and issues minor disciplinary actions and EAP referrals; and implements ways to improve production or increase the quality of the work directed.
Note: The deadline to apply is Monday, July 22, 2013 11:59PM