The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is seeking a seasoned, effective organizer to work on expanding bicycling and bicycling infrastructure in San Francisco. If you are passionate about bicycling, and passionate about increasing the diversity of bicycling, this is your chance to help improve the lives of huge numbers of San Franciscans.
- Hours: Full time. Hours may be flexible. Position will entail some work on weeknights and weekends, in order to attend community meetings and events.
- Reports to: Deputy Director
You will work with all parts of the organization, members and volunteers to develop and win support for key bicycling infrastructure improvements (bikeways, neighborhood greenways, spot improvements, paving, etc). This work will entail working closely with community groups, businesses and elected officials to develop grassroots and grasstops support for new and improved biking infrastructure. You will also be responsible for helping create and support member-led campaigns.
You should be comfortable with street-level organizing as well as grasstops outreach. Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to:
- Campaign strategy and outreach for campaigns to build more, better bikeways throughout the city in line with our Connecting the City initiative.
- Organizing on the street and other forms of grassroots outreach.
- Developing and supporting member-led campaigns.
- Working with city agencies and elected officials to advance campaigns.
- Connect with new and deepen existing relationships with community partners.
- Representing the organization at public meetings and community meetings.
- Communicating two-way with members about our work at all steps in the campaign process.
- Hiring and managing a team of diverse interns.
- Deep commitment to the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition mission.
- Fluency in a Chinese language or Spanish strongly encouraged.
- At least two years of experience as an organizer.
- Strong interpersonal and relational skills.
- Ability to take initiative and lead advocacy efforts within the organization.
- Demonstrated track record of successful project planning, management, base-building and strategy implementation.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Excellent communicator with a wide variety of types of audiences.
- Experience sourcing and managing a diverse cohort of interns and volunteers.
- Desire and ability to implement systems that will allow your work to scale quickly and significantly to be able to reach more people.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is to be determined, depending upon experience. This package includes strong benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Send a compelling cover letter and resume to Kit Hodge, Deputy Director, at kit [at] sfbike DOT org. Please include “Community Organizer Candidate, YOUR NAME” in the subject line, and be sure to mention where you saw the job advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.