Job Alert: Transportation Specialist, GS-2101-13/14 – Federal Highway Administration @ Washington, DC
Note: Applications closing date – Monday September 9, 2013
This position is in the Office of Transportation Operations within the Office of Operations, Federal Highway Administration. You will serve as one of the Agency’s national experts for transportation operations, in particular, highway work zone safety and mobility management. Accordingly, you will participate on the Road Weather and Work Zone Management Team. You will also provide expertise in support of other areas, namely the implementation of management strategies and Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) that improve transportation operations. As such, providing leadership; initiates, develops, promotes, markets, and conducts national programs; provides technical support and technology transfer; develops and interprets regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines; and develops, interprets, and applies legislative requirements and FHWA directives for the administration and support of work zone management as it supports the agency’s system performance goals.
This position is ideal for a mid-career or experienced professional with knowledge and experience in transportation operations and highway work zone safety and mobility management theory, principles, concepts, practices and techniques.
- Participate in the development of program goals and strategies for mainstreaming advanced transportation operations and work zone safety and mobility management technologies within the Federal-aid program.
- Develop and aids implementation of regulations, policies, and guidance on various transportation operations and work zone safety and mobility management issues.
- Participate in the development of the Work Zone Management program budget/spend plan and roadmap in alignment with program strategies, lending expertise from a historical perspective based on experience with the Work Zone Management program and providing strategic input for the future focus of the Program.
- Provide project oversight of contractors working on numerous technical work zone projects. Serve as project manager for these technical projects, ensuring that contractor deliverables meet the requirements laid out in the task orders and meet the objectives of the Work Zone Management Program.
- Provide liaison and work with staff from State and local departments of transportation, AASHTO, TRB, ITE, ITS America, ATSSA, and other partners outside U.S. DOT
- Prepare responses to Congressional, Office of the Secretary, and other outside inquiries regarding transportation operations and work zone safety and mobility management.