The Central Maryland Transportation Alliance seeks qualified applicants for the position of Director of Policy and Programs. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits.
Desired Start Date: week of Jan. 6, 2014 or a.s.a.p.
The Central Maryland Transportation Alliance is a non-profit coalition of business, philanthropic, non-profit and institutional organizations. Our commitment is to create a forward-thinking, innovative, realistic, usable transportation system. We advocate for better transportation that will provide access and opportunity for housing, jobs, education, services, goods and recreation to all residents throughout the region. The Transportation Alliance is an initiative of the Baltimore Community Foundation.
- Conduct research to support the Transportation Alliance’s initiatives. This includes, but is not limited to, our ‘Let’s Get to Work’ initiative to enhance service on MARC commuter rail, improving access to regional jobs via alternatives to driving alone, transit-oriented development, transportation funding, and benchmarking the region against national peers;
- Design and execute a comprehensive organizing plan that brings together hundreds of stakeholders to call for advancing the Transportation Alliance’s objectives;
- Assist with development activities including creating and executing a fundraising strategy and grantwriting;
- Develop and maintain knowledge and expertise in diverse areas of transportation including transportation planning, alternative funding methods, transit-oriented development, and related topics to inform conversations with colleagues, partners, and stakeholders;
- Cultivate meaningful collaborations with businesses, institutions, non-government organizations, and government agencies to advance the Transportation Alliance’s mission and vision;
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of presentations for audiences comprised of elected officials, economic development professionals, business leaders, other non-profit advocacy organizations, etc.;
- Assist with drafting various documents and materials such as the organization’s newsletter, social media content, letters to the editor, letters to elected officials, etc.;
- Represent the organization at meetings;
- Other duties as assigned. In an office environment with a small staff, all personnel, including the Director of Policy and Programs, are asked to be flexible about covering various duties as they arise.
- Masters degree or commensurate experience in public policy, environmental science, geography, urban planning, or related fields;
- Familiarity with transportation and its connection with economic development, urban planning, and environmental issues;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly with word processing and spreadsheets;
- Experience with advocacy campaigns, organizing, and coalition building is preferred;
- Experience with data and quantitative analysis, particularly reviewing and analyzing budgets, is a plus;
- Proficiency with social media such as Twitter and Facebook and web outreach is a plus.
The Central Maryland Transportation Alliance offers a competitive salary and benefits package. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to Brian O’Malley, firstname.lastname@example.org. The first review of letters and resumes will take place after Monday, December 9, 2013.
The Central Maryland Transportation Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and seeks a diverse pool of candidates in this search.