Job Alert: Chief, Traffic Division – Baltimore City Department of Transportation @ Baltimore, Maryland
(Salary: $75,600 – $104,300)
The Baltimore City Department of Transportation, an urban multi-modal transportation agency with primary responsibility for the City’s roadways, bridges, transit systems, and traffic safety is seeking a dynamic professional to function as the City’s Chief Traffic Engineer and manage the Traffic Management Center.
The Chief of the Traffic Division will lead a team of professional engineers, managers and technicians to:
- Authorize installation of Traffic Control Devices including signals, signs and pavement markings
- Operate and maintain the city’s 1,350 traffic signals
- Conduct Traffic Studies
- Develop measures to enhance all modes of transportation in the City;
- Implement the City’s Complete Streets Program
- Oversee multi-disciplinary planning and design teams for roadway improvement projects, ITS projects, transportation safety projects, bicycle and pedestrian projects, and other transportation-related projects;
- Oversee consultant resources through the planning and design project development processes;
- Recruit and hire professional traffic engineers
- Manage agency-wide data collection and GIS programs;
- Manage the agency’s transportation safety improvement program;
- Manage the agency’s transportation management center;
- Manage the signal electronics and signal construction maintenance shops; Conduct training of staff and consultants;
- Conduct traffic policy research and analysis on a range of topics;and
- Other duties as required.
Desirable qualifications: Master’s degree from an accredited college or university, five years of experience managing engineering projects as a licensed professional engineer, certification as a Professional Traffic Operations Engineer, and a minimum of five years directly supervising senior engineers, junior engineers and engineering technicians. Consideration may be given to a combination of experience and/or education. This position reports directly to the Deputy Director and will have frequent contact with the Director of Transportation, the Mayor’s Deputy Chief of Staff of Operations, and members of City Council. This is a benefited, at-will position serving at the pleasure of the Director of Transportation.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover memo and resume, which specifically addresses the experience relevant to this position, to Kathy Litz, Baltimore City Department of Transportation, 417 E. Fayette Street, Room 546, Baltimore, Maryland 21202 or email to: Kathy.email@example.com. Submission deadline is March 31, 2014.
An equal opportunity employer.