NelsonNygaard Consulting Associates (NN) seeks a highly organized, experienced, independent and motivated Senior Associate or Associate IV for its Boston office. This is an outstanding opportunity for the right person to become involved in building NN’s practice, which is focused on multi-modal transportation planning for livable communities. NN’s work emphasizes creative, innovative transit/transportation planning and community involvement, often within a wider set of goals such as economic development and reduced dependence on the private automobile.
Image courtesy: YPTransportation.org
NelsonNygaard is a growing company. We have grown smartly over the past 25 years, in a way that builds on our mission and core values, and have succeeded as a result. Helping our clients achieve their larger goals, including building vibrant, more sustainable and equitable communities, is what underlies our approach to transportation planning. Cultivating a work environment that is best for employee development and well-being is what underlies our approach to doing business. As we continue to grow, we want to remain a firm with open doors and open communication, with flexibility and an emphasis on creativity; where employees at all levels are part of the firm, not just working for it. As a firm, and as individual professionals, we remain deeply committed to walkable, bikeable, accessible communities, and, above all, quality public transportation accessible to all.
Each of our offices is recognized as a meaningful local community member through its local project work and other firm and individual participation. As individuals, we advocate for more ecologically sustainable, economically vibrant, socially equitable, healthful, and universally accessible communities. Our staff reflect the full diversity of our clients, including gender, race, culture, age, language fluency, and other experiences, and we all use our unique perspectives to tailor our professional work to meet the needs of the communities we work in. We hire the smartest, most skilled people in the industry through the right combination of pay, benefits, autonomy, office environment, work quality, flexibility, advancement potential, and core values.
Demographic trends and public policy changes will shape our business in the coming years, creating challenges to overcome. At the same time that the growing federal deficit and declining transportation revenues have cut into project budgets, new markets and revenue streams are emerging that may allow us to grow in the face of downsizing. Several major trends will make our services more in demand than ever. Rise of the millenials, graying of the boomers, peak car use, growth of the global middle class, climate change and resilience, technology and the sharing economy, rebirth of the inner suburbs, changing transportation needs for women, public health, and active transportation are all trends that we stay on top of and plan for.
The ideal candidate should have a broad range of transportation and urban planning experience. At the very least a candidate should be able to demonstrate significant expertise in at least three of the following areas:
- Citywide Transportation Planning and Analysis
- Campus Transportation Planning
- Parking Planning
- Bicycle/Pedestrian Facility Planning
- Transit Station Area Planning
- Street Design Guidelines
- Data Collection and Performance Assessments
- Light Rail, Commuter Rail, and/or Streetcar Planning
- Transport Policy, Funding and Governance
- Paratransit and Demand-Responsive Services
- Advanced Graphic Communication (InDesign, Photoshop)
- Computer Traffic Modeling
Successful applicants will be expected to:
- Function as a project manager for small studies and as a lead planner for complex components of large projects.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal skills
- Possess proven experience in managing projects within budget
- Work successfully with clients, members of the public and your team members
- Outline and prepare reports and successful proposals
- Analyze a wide range of transportation data and complete (directly or manage the completion of) technical analysis, feasibility studies or other transportation reports.
- Prepare and give effective presentations
- Creatively solve multimodal transportation problems.
- Participate in firm-wide strategic planning activities to ensure that we continue to build on our mission and core values.
- Mentor and train junior staff to become as good, or even better, at their job as you.
- Organize and supervise data collection activities in the office and the field
- Take a lead role on business development proposals.
Qualifications and Requirements
The ideal candidate will have a broad range of transportation and urban planning experience. At minimum, the candidate should meet the following qualifications.
- At least six years of increasingly responsible experience in transportation planning, traffic engineering, or one of the disciplines listed above
- A bachelor’s or more advanced degree in urban or transportation planning, or a related planning field. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Skills and enthusiasm for business development.
- Excellent written, verbal, and other communication skills, including facilitating public workshops, and making compelling presentations.
- The ability to manage complex projects on time and on budget.
- The candidate must be able to demonstrate basic proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word and Powerpoint
- Additional experience with GIS, Graphic (InDesign, Illustrator, SketchUp), Modeling (Synchro, VISSIM, TransCAD) or database anlaysis will be considered favorably.
Though most of the work will come from projects from the Boston office, there will be numerous opportunities for the candidate to contribute to NN projects across the United States. Candidates must be willing to travel (on average 2 overnight stays per month plus numerous day trips) and must have a valid Driver’s License. Preference will be given to candidates with AICP or P.E. certification.
Potential candidates may be asked to demonstrate their writing and oral presentation skills. Candidates should be available to start immediately. Above all, we are looking for someone who has a passion for sustainable transportation planning, and is interested in making communities better for our clients and their constituents.
Salary and Benefits
NelsonNygaard offers a dynamic and self-directed work environment that is fast-paced, congenial, and supportive. This will be your opportunity to work with one of the most dynamic and innovative groups of planners and engineers in the U.S., including highly talented junior and support staff. Our office culture is built upon diversity and creativity. Benefits of the position include:
- Medical, dental, and vision
- Health savings account
- Dependent care flexible spending account
- 401(k) retirement plan, including employer contribution
- Personal time off
- Incentive-based bonuses
- Professional society dues
- Training and conference reimbursement
- In-house training programs
- Technology reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Car share membership
- Bike share membership
- Fitness center discount
- Mentoring program
The annual salary range equivalent for this position is industry competitive, depending on qualifications and years of experience.
NelsonNygaard Consulting Associates, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity affirmative action employer.
Prior to sending your materials, please combine your cover letter, resume, and work samples into a single PDF with the filename format “Firstname Lastname – Boston Senior Associate.pdf”. Send the materials to email@example.com with the subject line “Boston Senior Associate”
No Phone Calls Please