Job Alert: Civil Engineer (Highway) (GS-11/12) – Federal Highway Administration (USDOT) @ Austin, Texas
The FHWA has posted an opening for an Area Engineer in Austin, Texas. Please note that the application deadline is 11:59 PM EST on April 16, 2014.
You will be responsible for managing and promoting assigned Federal highway programs within the State or, as a shared resource, in multiple states. Provide engineering stewardship and oversight at various junctures of project and program delivery of Federal-Aid infrastructure projects within the state (s). This entails working on a broad range of engineering activities in the State associated with the design, construction and maintenance of highways and highway related facilities. You will participate in the development of overall Division Office policy procedures and in the revision or establishment of national policy on behalf of the Division Office. You will also have the authority to commit the agency to actions on behalf of the Division Office(s) represented in line with delegations of authority.
The ideal candidate is a mid-career engineer with experience participating in monitoring Federally funded highway programs or delivering highway projects from initial scoping through construction support and maintenance.
The Civil Engineer (Highway):
- Serves as a key technical advisor in meetings, telephone contacts, public hearings, field reviews, and visits with State DOT officials and other Federal, State, and local agencies regarding assigned program areas and in assisting in the implementation of leadership initiatives. Communicates and applies Federal laws, regulations, and FHWA policies applicable to Federal-aid projects within the State DOT project development process.
- Monitors highway and other infrastructure improvements to determine if they are constructed to a desired quality and whether Federal-aid construction funds are being expended in a manner consistent with applicable Federal laws and regulations.
- Participates in assessments State programs for effectiveness and compliance. Provides to partners recommendations for performance and operational improvements and guidance on corrective actions.
- For projects designated as full oversight, reviews plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E) for appropriate application of design standards and criteria, conformance with policy and regulations, eligibility for Federal participation, traffic safety features, reasonableness of estimated unit prices, fulfillment of requirements from the transportation planning and NEPA process, and proper standard and special specifications and contract provisions.
- Participates in and contributes to Division program management activity including development of stewardship and oversight plans, conducting risk assessments, development of strategic operations and business plans, promotion of the implementation of a performance-based planning and programming process to partner agencies, and identification and tracking of performance measures and the associated reporting process.
§ FHWA.LKD-2014-0062 can be view at https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/366460300 and is open to current or former federal employees with status or veterans eligible under VEOA.
§ FHWA.LKD-2014-0063 can be viewed at https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/366460400 and is open to all U.S. Citizens.