Infograph: Stay Safe On The Road This Summer (~2X as many fatalities during summer months than the rest of the year combined)
As alcohol-related accidents tend to increase in the summer months, I’d like to remind you (& all Americans) that buzzed driving can put a stop to summer fun. Here are some surprising facts:
- Nearly twice as many people are killed in auto accidents during the summer months than the rest of the year combined.
- 1 drunken-driving fatality occurred every 51 minutes in 2012
- 35% of all drivers in nighttime fatal crashes who were alcohol-impaired
- 24% of males drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2012 had a Blood Alcohol Content of .08 or higher
- A DUI can cost drivers up to $10,000 — that’s more than three months worth of income for the average working American
But before you down that extra beer and get behind the steering wheel in your vehicle, you might want to take a look at this infograph (via Ad Council):
As part of an ongoing “Buzzed Driving” public service campaign, the Ad Council has also partnered with I Heart Radio on a new website with more statistics and resources to help talk to students, kids and friends about safe driving in the summer: iheartradio.com/summerdriving. Help us spread the word and save a few lives. Stay Safe!