TranSystems, a national transportation engineering, design and planning firm, seeks a candidate to provide detailed technical support for intelligent transportation systems (ITS) and transportation planning projects.
TranSystems is seeking a Transportation Planner/Systems Analyst candidate to provide detailed technical support for intelligent transportation systems (ITS) and transportation planning projects. The successful applicant must share a mixed passion for transportation systems and the application of technology in transportation. Candidates should have a basic understanding of public transportation technology concepts such as location tracking, mapping and geographic information systems (GIS), vehicle dispatching, vehicle/driver scheduling, wireless communications, and enterprise software.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Transportation or Civil Engineering, Transportation Planning, or a related major and 1 year of experience in related transportation technology, planning, and/or data visualization OR Master’s degree in Transportation or Civil Engineering, Transportation Planning or related major with no relevant experience
- Basic computer programming skills, particularly related to large dataset analysis and visualization.
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Project and Publisher)
- Proficient data analysis and interpretation skills coupled with a familiarity with statistical software such as SAS, SPSS, R and ArcGIS.
- Willingness to travel 10 to 20% of the time. The position covers projects throughout the U.S.
- Experience with demonstrable complex problem-solving is required.
- Capability to manage projects/tasks as directed.
- Ability to work as a member of a team or perform independent work
- Excellent oral, written, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- No visa sponsorship assistance
- No relocation assistance
- Minimum 2+ years of experience related to transportation technology, planning, and/or data visualization
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop)
- Marketing and proposal development experience is a plus
- Fluency with one or more of the following will be considered advantageous: MATLAB, Ruby, PHP, Python/NumPy, HTML, Java, SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience in the public transportation industry
Primary responsibilities include the following:
- Be capable of performing office and field technical work associated with various aspects of ITS and planning, including strategic planning, procurement and deployment of transportation technologies; development of technical designs; transportation technology research; evaluation of deployed technologies at agencies; and analysis and visualization of transportation data to develop decision support tools for public transportation agencies.
- Have the ability to take direction from senior staff, and to lead and deliver assigned tasks independently.
- Be able to work directly with external parties (e.g., clients, transit industry vendors) with minimal guidance from senior staff to complete assigned tasks, as necessary.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Proficient technical writing including preparing memos, reports and presentation materials, is required.
- Be capable of analyzing/solving complex transportation planning or engineering problems.
- Use software effectively and make timely and informed recommendations.