Job Alert: Community Transportation Planner 1 – Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) @ Chattanooga, TN
The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) Long Range Planning Division is accepting applications for a Community Transportation Planner 1 position in the Long Range Planning Division’s Office of Community Transportation, located in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Application for the Community Transportation Planner 1 position requires completion and submission of the following three items:
- Letter explaining applicant interest in the position
- Resume that is a maximum of two pages
- Written responses to the four application questions below
The three items should be emailed to Ms. Suzie Howard, Suzie.Howard@tn.gov, by 4:30 p.m. Central Daylight Time on Thursday, February 12, 2015.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Planning or related field from an accredited college or university and at least two (2) years of planning experience
Master’s Degree in Planning or related field from an accredited college or university
The Long Range Planning Division Community Transportation Planner 1 will assist in the Division’s development and implementation of strategies that coordinate the State’s land management and transportation infrastructure needs.
- Assists in the development of guidelines for coordination of land use and transportation decisions between state and local entities.
- Assists in the development of rural regional transportation plans, major thoroughfare plans, corridor management agreements, and statewide access management plans.
- Provides technical assistance to local community partners, Metropolitan Planning Organizations and Rural Planning and Consultation Organizations.
- Participates in regular collaborative opportunities with metropolitan transportation planning organizations, rural transportation consultation organizations, cities, and counties.
- Reviews new and established federal, state, and local plans and policies and makes recommendations for implementation.
This position will require occasional statewide travel.
(Please use a separate sheet for each question.)
When answering the application questions, you should use examples of work related experiences. If you do not have appropriate work related examples, non‐work related examples are acceptable.
- Describe two or three major trends in transportation and land use planning.
- Do you see any of these trends in Tennessee?
- What are some of the biggest challenges coordinating land use and transportation?
- Give an example of a transportation planning idea or improvement that you had and how did it make a difference in the community that you were serving?
- Give a specific example of a situation in which you had to deal with conflict when working with the public.
- Describe in detail how you handled both the person(s) and the situation.
- How did this affect the overall outcome of the situation or issue?
- How did you document and communicate the outcome?
- Provide a few detailed examples of professional and/or self‐improvement skills that you developed or enhanced over the past two years.
- Were these skills prerequisites of your current position?
- How have these skills assisted you in the performance of your current job responsibilities?
Please contact Ms. Tanisha Hall, Director, Long Range Planning Division, at Tanisha.Hall@tn.gov with questions about the position openings.