Transportation for America is seeking a highly skilled and proactive team member with knowledge and interest in local, state and federal transportation policy to serve as Policy Associate. This person will report directly to the Policy Director and work closely with Transportation for America Consulting — a mission based consulting service — as well as with our members and stakeholders to help achieve progress on our priorities at all levels of government.
Transportation for America is an alliance of elected, business and civic leaders from communities across the country who are united to ensure that states and the federal government step up to invest in smart, homegrown, locally-driven transportation solutions. We advocate for transportation reforms including increased local control of transportation planning and increased investments in infrastructure that boost long-term regional prosperity, and policies that improve the performance of the transportation system. This includes collaboration and support for local elected officials, chambers of commerce, businesses, and regional leaders in providing the tools and resources to allow them to complete their transportation priorities.
- Present and discuss transportation policies and local implications with stakeholders including mayors, state representatives, state DOTs, regional chambers of commerce, transportation planners, businesses and equity advocates.
- Represent Transportation for America and our key transportation policies before local councils, state legislatures, and on Capitol Hill.
- Prepare legislative and policy documents related to local, state and federal transportation decisions.
- Manage transportation policy programs to deliver resources and tools to elected officials and transportation practitioners throughout the country.
- Proactive, team-player
- Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least two years of experience in legislative advocacy
- Experience with state and/or local transportation policy
- Experience with federal regulations and Congress is a plus, but not required.
Transportation for America offers a competitive salary commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits. This position is located in Washington, D.C. To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Joe McAndrew email@example.com with the subject line “Policy Associate application”
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Transportation for America. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
Transportation for America also prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities and will reasonably accommodate applicants with a disability, upon request, and will also ensure reasonable accommodation for employees with a disability.