Monday, February 23, 2009 — ISSN 1529-1057
Register Today and Prepare for the Approaching Recovery: IBTTA’s Workshop on Managing in an Era of Changing Economic Times, April 19-21, 2009 in San Francisco, CA .
Join IBTTA in San Francisco for power-packed educational sessions and walk away with a world of knowledge on better managing your organization today and preparing for the approaching economic recovery. Learn how global issues are affecting your organization and the toll industry, the goals and efforts of the U.S. stimulus program, how to build a cost-conscious culture and make tough decisions, how to position your agency for unique opportunities during this slowdown, solid financing strategies and more. This is one meeting you don’t want to miss! Visit IBTTA’s website to view the preliminary agenda, make your travel arrangements and register today!
1) Ryanair to Offer Mobile Phone Calls on Board
Link to Reuters story:
Link to news release from Ryanair:
2) FAA Often Takes Years to Carry Out Lessons from Air Crashes
Link to story in The New York Times:
3) FAA Faces Rising Trainee Numbers in Controller Ranks
Link to story in Aviation Week:
4) Air Traffic Control Center in Riyadh is Operational
Link to story in the Saudi Gazette:
5) Calculating the Most Efficient Air Traffic Routes
Link to story in Flight International:
GPS / NAVIGATION
6) Vermont State Police Warn GPS Directions Sometimes Deceptive for Winter Travel
Link to AP story:
7) Turning to Parking Meters to Reduce Traffic
Link to story in the San Francisco Chronicle:
8) Michigan Officials Say Amtrak Needs to Improve Communications
Link to story in The Grand Rapids Press:
9) All Signs Point to Drivers’ Confusion
New parking signs in Spokane, Washington lead to some head-scratching.
Link to story in The Spokesman-Review:
10) As Suspension Bridges Age, a Search for Failures
Sensor systems being developed to spot problems.
Link to story and audio report on NPR’s Morning Edition:
SAFETY / SECURITY
11) Transportation Security Administration Checks Out Systems for Airport Waiting Time Data
Link to story in Washington Technology:
12) Shanghai Transit Stations Offer Transport Info Downloads
Link to story in Traffic Technology International:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
13) ‘City Drive Live’ a Needed Brake from the Bad News
City of New York broadcasts rotating traffic camera images on HD television channel.
Link to story in the Daily News:
1) New Web Site Offers Information about Emerging Transit Technology
2) US DOT Seeks Innovative Research Proposals from Small Businesses to Address Transportation Challenges
3) SITA Predicts Brave New World of Hassle-Free Travel as It Marks Its 60th Anniversary
4) Road Dog Trucking Radio Channel Expands on Sirius XM
5) AT&T Expands Wireless Coverage on SEPTA
ITS Michigan Annual Conference – May 12-13 – Novi, Michigan
Today in Transportation History
1909 **100th anniversary** – The AEA Silver Dart made its first flight in Nova Scotia. This was the first flight in Canada and the British Empire.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLemail@example.com
To unsubscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLfirstname.lastname@example.org
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2009 Bernie Wagenblast