The Intelligent Transportation Society of America (ITS America), the nation’s largest nonprofit association representing the transportation technology industry, is seeking an External Affairs Manager to support the organization’s communications, marketing and legislative outreach activities. ITS America’s membership includes nearly 500 public agencies, private sector companies, and research and academic institutions as well as 27 State Chapter affiliates across 40 states dedicated to advancing the research, development and deployment of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) to improve the nation’s surface transportation network. The External Affairs Manager will be responsible for the following activities:
- Plan and manage media, Congressional and stakeholder outreach events;
- Assist in maintaining relationships and managing logistics related to ITS America’s Legislative Steering Committee;
- Plan and manage monthly Smart Solution Spotlight award media events and promotional activities;
- Write and manage the distribution of ITS America’s weekly e-newsletter, the Transportation Technology News;
- Schedule and manage logistics for monthly Congressional Roundtable breakfast or lunch events between ITS America members and Members of Congress;
- Draft press releases, media statements, talking points, marketing materials, member announcements, Web content, social media content and other communications as needed;
- Perform occasional legislative and regulatory research and writing;
- Write, edit and update copy and graphics regularly on www.itsa.org;
- Assist with media outreach and marketing activities for ITS America’s quarterly regional event series;
- Manage logistics and outreach for ITS America’s annual Transportation Technology Showcase and Reception on Capitol Hill;
- Assist with media and marketing activities for major industry events including ITS America’s Annual Meetings and the ITS World Congress;
- Monitor transportation and technology-related news and compile daily press clips for distribution;
- Maintain and expand media, Congressional and stakeholders contacts and distribution lists; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The incumbent will report to the Senior Vice President for Government and External Affairs, with day-to-day management provided by the Director of Communications in coordination with the Vice President for Legislative Affairs. Candidates should have at least 2-5 years of relevant experience, extremely strong writing skills with a working knowledge of AP Style, the ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines, and attention to detail. Media relations and event marketing, Congressional relations, and transportation and/or technology policy experience are all a strong plus. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please submit your resume and at least three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Intelligent Transportation Society of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. All applications are treated confidentially.